Thursday, September 25, 2008

Everyone Knows this is Nowhere/God is not a Walnut



Uc_1960_periodic_table_01

Tomorrow the world ends. Tomorrow the CERN Large Hadron Collider fires up and in man's insane and greedy quest to find the hadron, or "God Particle" he will unleash the very forces of a furious subatomic hellstorm and create, at first, tiny black holes but they will soon, in less time than the flutter of a biolectrical spark ennervating a heartbeat, coalesce into a giant black hole that will suck the world as we know it into a vast and cold dead nothingness.

One moment you will be sitting at your desk typing some email to someone else you work with and the next moment there will only be a frigid black sky full of stars and space dust where you once sat.

I don't know if anyone's made one but I'd like a CERN clock on my computer so I can count the seconds until my doom. I'm unsure why I want this, because in some ways events as horrible as the end of the earth as we know it are best delivered by surprise. Sometimes I think, while driving fast across the state, that if I'm going to die in a thudding explosive crash with a semi, I totally don't want to see it coming.

But the Collider is different. Man is committing global suicide by trying to further science when, in fact, there may very well be a reason the Hadron is a God Particle and has never been seen. And to try to muscle God can bring no good results. God is not a walnut.

Would you use a Collider doomsday countdown clock on your home or work computer or do you prefer not to know when the CERN Large Hadron Collider kills us all? Should we just all phone in sick tomorrow and hug our loved ones close in the last moments of earth and just skip those work meetings or dentist appointments?


Source

No comments: