Thursday, August 21, 2008

Mike and the Mad Dog are no more



Squawker Jon came by to see me at my desk yesterday to tell me the big news - that Chris (Mad Dog) Russo is leaving WFAN. I yelped “What???” when I heard the news,

Although Mad Dog denies that a deteriorating relationship with co-host Mike Francesa had anything to do with separating, not many people believe that.

It’s too bad that will be no more. And no matter how much money either of them make, they will never have as much power and influence solo as they did together.

I developed much more respect for FranDog, as Bob Raissman, calls them, after starting to write this blog, and especially after starting to appear on the radio. To be able to come up with interesting takes on sports that people will want to listen to for 5 1/2 hours a day is tougher than you think. And so is working in a partnership, as Squawker Jon and I can attest to! So hats off to them for what they have done so well, for so long.

But the thing is, hearing them each solo will never be as compelling listening. Anybody tuning in their show during the summer can attest to that. I always liked Dog better than Mike, though, simply because Chris is funnier, and Mike is too, well, pompous.

It’s a shame those two crazy kids couldn’t work it out, though. Oh well,

What do you think of? Leave us a comment!


Source

No comments: