Thursday, August 21, 2008

Chris "Mad Dog" Russo rumored to be joining Sirius XM Radio



Mike and the Mad DogWFAN's popular "Mike and the Mad Dog" show lost the "Mad Dog" yesterday, when (pictured, left) departed the station abruptly, ending a 19-year partnership with Mike Francesa.

Russo quit the station in the early evening, leading WFAN to swiftly name Francesa the sole host of the popular afternoon drive-time show, starting immediately. For now, it will be called "Francesa on the FAN," and it signals the end of perhaps the most formidable duo in sports-talk radio.

"The idea that we hate each other and I had to get out, trust me, that's not true," Russo told The New York Times. "I'm 48 years old. It's time for a change, and I'm looking for a new challenge."

Russo added that he had no other jobs waiting for him. But that's not what industry sources are saying.

Newsday reports that he is likely to land at Sirius Satellite Radio for a lucrative deal worth up to $15 million over five years. And that would just yet another popular radio personality to Karmazin's roster of star talent.

"I have four or five options," Russo told Newsday. "Sirius would be one of them ... Obviously, I'm not stupid. I'm not going to leave FAN unless I have something relatively secure."



Source

No comments: