Wednesday, February 20, 2008

American Idol Top Twelve Boys: Is The Talent The Best Yet?



Jason Castro DaydreamTo kick off the American Idol 7 top twelve boys’ performance show, host Ryan Seacrest set the bar high. Seacrest claimed, “People are saying this year’s talent is the best yet.” After Seacrest introduced the top twelve boys and the judges, David Hernandez was the first to perform.

David Hernandez sang “In The Midnight Hour.” Randy Jackson said, “I thought you did a really good job. It fell a little apart at the end.” Paula Abdul said, “You’ve got brilliant vocals to rely on.” Simon Cowell said, “It was actually better than I thought it was going to be, to be honest.”

Chikezie sang “I Love You More Today Than Yesterday.” Randy Jackson said, “The only problem for me is that you’re a little bit of an old fashioned singer.” Paula Abdul said, “Nothing makes me happier than to see you here on the stage.” Simon Cowell said “I absolutely hated the whole performance, and I’ll tell you why. Let me finish, the suit is hideous.” Chikezie interrupted, “Hold up, player, white, grey, and black, come on dude, who’s your stylist, Charlie Chaplin?”

David Cook sang “So Happy Together.” Randy Jackson said, “You worked it out.” Paul Abdul said, “I have to tell you it was a bit worthy.” Simon Cowell said, “I thought it was good. I thought you shouted the song a little bit in the middle.”

Jason Yeager sang “Moon River.” Randy Jackson said, “Make sure you never lose your concentration while you’re singing a song like that.” Paula Abdul said, “I have such sentimental value to that song. I did my first ballet recital to that song.” Simon Cowell said, “I’m going to be honest with you. I think it was very cruise ship, the whole performance.”

Robbie Carrico sang “One Is The Loneliest Number.” Randy Jackson said, “Nice one, Robbie.” Paula Abdul said, “I think you picked the perfect song for you.” Simon Cowell said, “I would say it’s the only performance we’ve seen tonight which has any semblance of making sense.”

David Archuleta sang “Shop Around.” Randy Jackson said, “You sang that song so mature for somebody seventeen.” Paula Abdul said, “You really did a great job.” Simon Cowell said, “That was by a comfortable mile the best performance of the night so far.”

Danny Noriega sang “Jailhouse Rock.” Randy Jackson said, “I actually thought it was pretty good.” Paula Abdul said, “It was very warm, almost scalding.” Simon Cowell said, “I thought the performance was verging on grotesque.” 

Luke Menard sang “Everybody’s Talkin’.” Randy Jackson said, “It was very pitchy for me all the way through.” Paula Abdul said, “I don’t feel that this was the best song choice for you.” Simon Cowell said, “It was forgettable.”

Colton Berry sang “Suspicious Minds.” Randy Jackson said, “You did a pretty good job on it, I think.” Paula Abdul said, “I don’t feel it’s your best performance, but I do think you gave it an eager and fun attempt.” Simon Cowell said, “I’m not looking at a recording artist or listening to a recording artist, and that is my issue.”

Garrett Haley sang “Breaking Up Is Hard To Do.” Randy Jackson said, “The thing that struck me with this performance is that you didn’t do anything with it.” Paula Abdul said, “If you stay at that slow tempo, it brings the performance down.” Simon Cowell said, “It was boring, your voice sounded a bit whiney, you look terrified, and it looks as if you’ve been shut up in your bedroom for about a month.”

Jason Castro played guitar and sang “What A Day For A Daydream.” Randy Jackson said, “It didn’t blow me away, but it was alright.” Paula Abdul said, “For me, you did blow me away.” Simon Cowell said, “I thought that was in the top two performances of the night.”

Michael Johns sang “Light My Fire.” Randy Jackson said, “What a way to end a great night.” Paula Abdul said, “It was an excellent way to end the night.” Simon Cowell said, “I would say Michael that you are the most consistent contestant we’ve had.” 

So, is this year’s talent the best yet? Based on the boys’ performances, it’s still too early to make that label, but there is definitely some talent this year. The biggest surprise of the night was David Archuleta. David comes across as a shy, young kid; but he sings with confidence and passion. The fact that he’s also very humble about his amazing talent will also make him likable to viewers.

The second biggest surprise of the night was Jason Castro, but that’s just because none of his auditions had been shown on the show. Jason was the only semifinalist to play an instrument, and it paid off. He was easily among the top three performances of the night.

So, who was the other semifinalist that gave one of the three best performances of the night? No surprise, it was Michael Johns. Everyone knew that Michael Johns could sing from the auditions, and he proved to be just as consistently great as ever.

So, which two male semifinalists will be the first to go? David Archuleta, Jason Castro, and Michael Johns should all obviously be safe, but it could be any of the other contestants. Luke Menard, Garrett Haley, Chikezie, and David Hernandez are likely the most at risk of being among the first two eliminated.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for American Idol news. For other great American Idol news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol or SirLinksALot: Carly Smithson.

Photo Credit: Reality TV Magazine

ShareThis



No comments: