Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Cleanliness is next to Oprahness



"I want you to look around your house right now. Is it messy? Is it disorganized? Are there piles of stuff laying everywhere?" I looked. You know, there are a few, but it's not so bad. Just signs of a really busy lifestyle that leaves little time to worry about some clutter during the week. Still, would I want the Queen of England to pay me a surprise visit? Not really. I'd prefer to neaten up first.

It really is my dream to have a home that is always neat and clean so I wouldn't wince when someone does a drop-by visit. (And, um...what's up with drop-by visits? Can we talk about how annoying THOSE are? You hearing this, Queen of England? Enough dropping by without calling first.) I'm not so sure that's entirely realistic, but I'm ready to try Peter Walsh's new program, designed for Oprah's show.

Oprah says, "Here's the guarantee"... In 6 months, we will have clutter free homes by May if we follow Oprah's Clean Up Your Messy House Tour. There is a contract to sign and a step-by-step strategy to follow. And yes, there is a goofy theme song that goes along with this program. Even Oprah seemed taken about by how silly it was. Poor composer!

While the state of the world is in constant upheaval, Oprah believes we can always "control your own environment." She was very taken aback by people's messy houses and indicated that an out-of-control home indicates an out-of-control life. I used to believe this, because it's what I kept hearing on this show, but now I'm not sure. I feel like this could be said about anything - out-of-control eating is an indication of an out-of control life or out-of-control kids, finances, work, etc indicate messy minds. I think to some extent, these are absolutely symptoms of much deeper problems, but I don't think they can necessarily be blanket statements that apply to EVERYONE. Maybe I care more about spending my valuable time in a yoga class than with a Swiffer in my hand. Actually, I could combine the two activities - cleaning and yoga - and patent it. I'd make a fortune. Organizoga!

While Oprah was a bit judgmental about the ambushed guests' homes because she doesn't have that dilemma, she even said, "I have a lot of other issues." Don't we all.

You know, I am so tired of comparing my home to the "after" examples we see on the show...or in gorgeous photos in lovely home magazines. Those rooms were cleaned and dressed and decorated by a team of workers. I don't think it's realistic - unless we have a housekeeping staff - to live up to this at all times. Still...it does give us a goal if we can take this advice as guidance, rather than judgment about our own priorities.

But, I also have to wonder about the word "control." It's preached at us quite often and it's beginning to feel constrictive to me as I'm coming to the end of this year. How much control do I need to exert? With my perfectionist tendencies, I think it might be healthier to give up some control than keep striving toward complete world dominance. Frankly, the more I surrender some of my tight control, the happier I am. Now, that is the deep work for me.

Oprah does say, "I know your home should rise up to meet you." I am going to really consider what that means to me instead of wondering if Oprah - or my mother-in-law, or the Q of E, for that matter - would wince if she entered my front door.

We were told, "If you're ready to clean up your messy house...sign up at Oprah.com and join our tour. You'll receive monthly homework assignments. Don't overwhelm yourself. Don't try to turn in your assignments early. Just, stay with the program, ok?" I'm ready. I'm willing. I am not so sure if I am able, but a gal can at least try, right?

You'll notice, if you go back to the link for the Clean Up program, there is a link to snapfish.com to create a free album if you sign up by Friday, I think. This is cool and I'm totally going to do it as Oprah said, "If you're ready to clean out the clutter, you're gonna like this." In addition to that deal is also offering 20% off purchases at their store if we buy within a week.

(IMAGINE SCREECH OF BRAKES HERE)

What?! I don't want to buy overpriced containers, even at 20% off! Don't get me wrong...I LOVE ME some Container Store, but they are going to make a fortune from this. I've worked retail, I know how much items are marked up - 20% off is not going to make them blink. It's brilliant marketing and we'll be sending the CEO's kids to college, or getting them new cars, probably.

Another financial issue that took me by surprise is the "really" inexpensive chandelier that was used on today's show in a guest's apartment. It was $349 from Pottery Barn. Cheap for a nice lighting fixture? Perhaps. Cheap for a gal who wonders if she can afford the eggs at the grocery store? Nope.

You know what I would adore? I'd like to see one of these shows go into a surprised guest's home, declutter and redecorate ONLY with what's already in the house. No paint, no Container Store, no new appliances from Lowes. Just use the resources that are already within the walls of the home. I think that's a show I might really learn from.

Oprah let us all know that Peter Walsh would be out with the Oprah Show brigade of de-clutterizers. She warned us: "So, if somebody shows up at your door and says 'Peter sent me,' do not let them in." I'm adding that to my assignment list, because it was given as a directive, but I can't imagine I'll need to use it.

I always rewatch the show so I can make certain I've caught everything. I'm writing now, however, only having seen it once since I'd like Jim to watch with me tonight when he gets home from work. I always regurgitate Peter Walsh's rules at him, but I think if he sees/hears the advice from the horse's mouth (sorry Peter), it'll be more effective.

Isn't it odd that TV somehow validates information we already know? What on earth is up with that?

Note: I might be editing this post after I rewatch the show, if I catch anything I've missed or errors I've made. Sorry for those of you who subscribe - I hope you're not bothered by two of the same posts. My apologies if that happens.
Source

No comments: